How We Built Britain
b***@hotmail.com
2007-06-03 16:42:59 UTC
How We Built Britain (Documentary)
Time - 21:00 - 22:00 (1 hour long)
When - Sunday 3rd June 2007 on BBC 1
The East: A New Dawn.
David Dimbleby journeys through Britain, and through 1,000 years of
our history, to discover the buildings that have made us who we are.
His journey begins in the east of England, in medieval times the
richest place in Britain, and home to some of our most spectacular
buildings. He climbs the tower of Ely Cathedral, explores magnificent
castles, learns how to build a medieval barn, goes on a pilgrimage,
experiences life in a great hall and learns how the Black Death turned
England upside down.
Sofa - Spud
2007-06-03 17:46:59 UTC
Post by b***@hotmail.com
How We Built Britain (Documentary)
Time - 21:00 - 22:00 (1 hour long)
When - Sunday 3rd June 2007 on BBC 1
The East: A New Dawn.
David Dimbleby journeys through Britain, and through 1,000 years of
our history, to discover the buildings that have made us who we are.
His journey begins in the east of England, in medieval times the
richest place in Britain, and home to some of our most spectacular
buildings. He climbs the tower of Ely Cathedral, explores magnificent
castles, learns how to build a medieval barn, goes on a pilgrimage,
experiences life in a great hall and learns how the Black Death turned
England upside down.
Sounds intersting stuff but hasn't it all been done before in one way
or another.
b***@hotmail.com
2007-06-03 21:06:35 UTC
Breathtaking views of fine British buildings. An absolutely fantastic
show. Looking forward to next weeks episode. Hopefully they will
release the series on DVD.
b***@hotmail.com
2007-06-03 21:11:36 UTC
Post by b***@hotmail.com
Hopefully they will
release the series on DVD.
Just found out the answer to my own question. They will.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-We-Built-Britain/dp/B000P7V5Y8
This title will be released on 9th July 2007

SYNOPSIS:
David Dimbleby tells the dramatic and heroic story of Britain's
architecture - the extraordinary buildings that define a nation and
which grew out of the experiences and beliefs of the British people.
How did we get from the fortified tower to the grand open mansion and
back again to the gated communities of today? How did we lose the
marketplace to the out-of-town shopping mall? When did it become so
important how libraries and prisons look? What does the way we arrange
our city centres say about us? Can architecture really make a
difference to our quality of life? This fascinating and authoritative
account of a thousand years of change in Britain's buildings tackles
these questions and many more.

Format: PAL
Language English
Region: Region 2 ( DVD formats.)
Number of discs: 1
Classification: To be announced
Studio: 2 Entertain Video
michael adams
2007-06-03 21:50:18 UTC
Post by b***@hotmail.com
Breathtaking views of fine British buildings. An absolutely fantastic
show. Looking forward to next weeks episode. Hopefully they will
release the series on DVD.
If "A Picture of Britain" is anything to go by it should get plenty
of repeats on UKTV History in any case.

Not watched it yet, as I was watching the Apprentice thing on 2 but
if POB is anything to go by, then David Dimbelby will have done a
really good job. He came over really well on that, unlike on Question
Time where like Jonathan on Any Questions he can sound a bit pompous
and overbearing at times - IMO. Which is why I avoided POB on its
first airing.

michael adams

Sofa - Spud
2007-06-04 08:13:30 UTC
Post by michael adams
Post by b***@hotmail.com
Breathtaking views of fine British buildings. An absolutely fantastic
show. Looking forward to next weeks episode. Hopefully they will
release the series on DVD.
If "A Picture of Britain" is anything to go by it should get plenty
of repeats on UKTV History in any case.
Back to back repeats when it is aired so if you miss one you can catch
it later - I've seen all of coast that way , with the woman with the
red hait.
Schrodinger
2007-06-03 22:36:36 UTC
Post by b***@hotmail.com
Breathtaking views of fine British buildings. An absolutely fantastic
show. Looking forward to next weeks episode. Hopefully they will
release the series on DVD.
Agreed. Watched this after Coast - both great examples of good TV that ITV
wouldn't make.

We watched last night's Dr Who first, so I think the TV licence is good
value tonight :)

Oh, we're watching the History of Rock thing now, so it's been a good TV
night.